East Side

Winter Haven Hotel

"The Winter Haven Hotel was used during the 1950's as a location for the Queen judging of the Winter Haven Carnival. It was located on the corner of Fifth Street and First Avenue. When Highway 10 was rerouted it was converted into apartments."

History of Sartell, Minnesota Lumber, Paper, Valves and Progress A Century of Progress Welcoming a Century of Promise page 154

Winter Haven Hotel

The Sartell American Legion Post 277.

Located on the south corner of 3rd St and 1st Ave. Earlier establishments on this location include the Mill Inn, the Silver Diamond and the Red Horse.

History of Sartell, Minnesota Lumber, Paper, Valves and Progress A Century of Progress, Welcoming a Century of Promise pg 153

Old Highway 10

"Steve and May Plafcan had a home on the south corner of Sixth Street and First Avenue. They converted their front living room into a confectionary store and café. After prohibition had been repealed they started selling draft beer. Jack Iverson ran the Stork Club from this location. Chauncy Gilman remodeled and built the bar in the shape of a "V" where it got the name V-Bar. Also visible in this photo is the Benton Drive Mini Serv on the left and the Winter Haven Motel on the right."

History of Sartell, Minnesota Lumber, Paper, Valves and Progress A Century of Progress, Welcoming a Century of Promise page156

The Commodore

"The Commodore Club was located on the corner of First Street and First Avenue NE. It was built in 1939 by Bill Bettenberg and Al Belfany. Other owners included Joe Gallus and Bill Stevens. It was a popular night club known to be packed on Saturday nights for food, drinks, and slot machine gambling. In the 1970's it provided disco dancing. This east side icon met its demise on April 30, 1980 when it was razed as part of the St. Regis Paper Company expansion."

History of Sartell, Minnesota Lumber, Paper, Valves and Progress A Century of Progress Welcoming a Century of Promise. page 151

"Pat Brannan owned and operated this full service gas station known as Pat's DX. Claude Kosbab, a previous owner, operated it as Claude's. It was a popular café in conjunction with the station. In 1980 the building was demolished as part of the St. Regis Paper Company expansion"

History of Sartell, Minnesota Lumber, Paper, Valves, and Progress A Century of Progress Welcoming a Century of Promise. page 152

Sartell Train Depot


Sartell Depot